VAMFF always kicks off at Melbourne’s Government House, a venue, it so happens, that is arguably unmatched in Australia for the staging of an Autumnal garden party.
I say this chiefly because Melbourne’s weather in early Autumn is perfect for garden-based soirees; the late afternoon heat typically gives way to a cooling twilight topped out with an orange-y pink sky.
And so it was, at the opening of VAMFF 2017, that I wondered, ‘what are five fashion tips that guarantee an enjoyable outdoor Autumnal afternoon’?
So here goes (in no particular order)
- Check the dress code and research outfit combos that fit said code. Seems obvious, but knowing the code back-to-front enables you to be adventurous with your ultimate choice. If you’re not sure, there’ll be a tendency to stick with conservative staples.
- Wear sunscreen. There’s nothing worse than a sunburnt face; and then having all and sundry, concerned expressions etched on their faces, approach you saying, “Ooooo you’re getting burnt!”
- Flat shoes or wedge heels only! Stilettos and lush lawn do not a happy pairing make. Yes, I’m wearing them in the pics below—but I shouldn’t have!
- Spend a bit of time choosing a delightful, chic-yet-practical sunhat. It will be your greatest friend in the bright heat of the afternoon, especially if you get chatting in a spot without shade.
- Make sure you pace yourself so you’re in peak social form during twilight. It is truly the magic hour and most pleasant time of the day.